Saturday 26 October 2013

[cobirds] Immense roosts, Boulder County, Oct. 25th-26th

Hello, Birders.


Yesterday evening, Friday, Oct. 25th, I watched from 5:45-5:55 p.m. as approximately 925 American Crows flew west toward the foothills just west of North Broadway and US-36, Boulder County.


Today, Saturday, Oct. 26th, from 5:45 until at least 6:10, I watched Common Grackles going over Lafayette, Boulder County, at about 15 per second. That's 22,500 Common Grackles--far less, I believe than is the total number in this roost. The neighbors have been telling me about this phenomenon, and I'd caught glimpses of it the past few nights, but this was the first time I actually stood there and watched. It must be awfully noisy and dirty wherever they wind up. Maybe they're with the crows?


Back on Thursday, Oct. 24th, I saw a Merlin at Greenlee Preserve, Boulder County.


Ted Floyd

Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado 

No comments:

Post a Comment