Friday 25 October 2013

[cobirds] Colorado CBC history

COBirders,

  Thanks to Bill Miller for clarifying Ft. Collins' claim on longest continuous CBCs.  I answered him by writing:  "Yes, that's why I mentioned that we have a 60-year gap.  I don't know exactly when AVAS started the modern era CBCs, but I think it was in the early 60s so there may be more than one continuous count(s) that is/are longer than ours."

  Mary Tucey, formerly an Arkansas Valley Audubon historian, just told me that Herman W. Nash, who arrived in Pueblo in 1878, found only 14 species on that first count.  While he observed "thousands" of Horned Larks he only saw one Black-billed Magpie and low numbers of most other species.  Mary has a list of the species with their accepted names at that time along with their present AOU names.

Leon Bright, Pueblo

No comments:

Post a Comment