Sunday 30 June 2013

[cobirds] TRICOLORED HERON at Holcim Wetlands east of Florence--Yes

The TRICOLORED HERON  was at Holcim Wetlands this morning and it was foraging on the west side where I found it on 6-14-13 (as it seems very unlikely this is a different bird).  Since I was going to Pueblo I stopped at Holcim to check on the bird.  I ran into Lynne Miller who had just seen the heron.  By the time I got to the west side of the wetlands it was 10:30 and it took a bit for me to find the bird as it was a few hundred feet from shore foraging mostly behind a large clump of cattails.  I spotted it moving behind the cattails and it did come out into mostly full view briefly a few times but I got good views of it foraging with only a few cattails making photos more difficult.  I did get a photo that I have uploaded to my Birds and Nature blog.  But if you go looking for it and don't see it right away be sure to wait in case it is obscured by the cattails.  Though Lynne said she saw a Green Heron, I did not see one today.

Note for anyone coming to Holcim from Pueblo, CR120 (the road the wetlands are located on) has the new bridge over the Arkansas River open so you no longer have to drive to H115 and drive back in. 

On my way back from Pueblo late around 5 pm I drove by Holcim Wetlands.  Since it was lightening I stayed in my car and scoped the wetlands from a high spot in the parking lot area.  I was surprised to spot the TRICOLORED HERON foraging clearly but just barely in my view.  It was still on the west side of the wetlands and appeared close to where it had been foraging earlier.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Personal blog @ http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com
Blogging for Birds an Blooms Magazine @ http://BirdsAndBloomsBlog.com






--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckq-0QhPe6cwCLnb2%3DNRMR0bwP2ZP0%3D4OK1VD3JDo5WjKA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment