Wednesday 1 June 2022

[cobirds] Migrants, CSR, El Paso Co, Wednesday

Hey COBirders.

Nick K is right.

It was another upslope day here at Clear Spring Ranch banding - low ceiling, misty, soaked, slight SE breeze - PERFECT for migrants, especially Swainson's Thrush!

I have always closed on or before 6/1 for the season, since I wouldn't be catching any more migrants, and not wanting to bother the local breeding birds. I almost closed for the season Monday after a major blow-out at 7am, but I was still catching migrants. I returned Tuesday and thought about closing again, but caught 29 more birds - many still migrants, including flycatchers, Lincoln's Sparrows, and 3 MacGillivray's Warblers.

The forecast for today was for rain through mid-morning, so I was mostly discounting any chance of banding today. But the weatherman showed at 6:00 that the rain was ending in Fountain, so I zoomed out and opened nets at 7:00. It was wet, but immediately there were Swainson's Thrush all over the place - on the ground in the net lanes (only cleared areas in all of the dense brush), on downed logs, and bouncing off the cottonwood and Russian Olive branches. I caught 4 right away, but it seemed the dozens I saw were moving North along the creek, and soon most were gone. Then I started catching flycatchers - 6 Willow FL, and 5 W Wood-pewees, way more than expected 6/1 (eBird agrees).

About 9:30 a second wave of migrants arrived, with the woods suddenly full of Swainson's again (banded 10 more - total 14 for the day), along with Red-eyed and Warbling Vireos, MacGillivray's, Wilson's, and an Audubon's YR Warbler. ALL of these are unusual on 6/1. Of the 46 birds caught today. 5 were recaps, 3 were probable local breeders, and the other 38 were migrants!

Nobody was going in the nets at noon, so I closed FOR THE DAY, but there were still many thrush foraging on the ground when I left.

I can't open tomorrow, but plan to work Friday, maybe more, depending on how many more migrants I see. I've never had the station open this late!

BTW, unsurprisingly, I passed my spring season record with now 1250 birds this spring (450 Chipping Sparrows!!), and the last 2 days I had 75 birds!

Whew. Happy Migration (Still!)
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs


--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds?hl=en?hl=en
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/CFO/Membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/704AFDBB-6612-43E6-AF23-291CA880CAF0%40gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment