Wednesday 19 February 2020

[cobirds] Towhees, Doves, and Siskins ,Jefferson County,CO.

Cobirders,

This has been a great winter for Spotted Towhees in my yard. When it started to snow in Dec. I had 8 different Spotted Towhees in my yard. I normally have 6, but the snow brought in 8 ,[I can count each one]. They seem to put up with each other, as they skirt around each other, etc. For sure I have one pair of Spotted Towhee that nest in my yard, every summer.

To make things more interesting, I have had daily, anywhere from 20-28 Morning Doves in my yard, from Dec through now.

Pine Siskins this winter have been common for the second winter in a row. I had none show up for years. Last May,[2019] I counted 3 Pine Siskin which were Juveniles. They had down still on their head and were begging for food and following the parents around. I am almost positive these nested in my neighbors yard, which has many,  planted Conifers. Perhaps some of the young from last year are frequenting my feeders. I'll watch this year to see if there are begging young again.
I have averaged daily, around 18 Pine Siiskins, in 2019 and in 2020.

Happy Birding!
Tina Jones,
Littleton,CO, Jefferson County,CO

No comments:

Post a Comment