Friday 28 February 2020

[cobirds] Re: Grandview Cemetery, Fort Collins (Larimer) on Feb 28, 2020

David,

I don't know what kind of phone you have.  Mine is a Samsung Android phone.  I transfer photos & videos via USB between phone and my computer.  I connect using the same USB port used to charge the phone.  Hope this helps.

Jeff

On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 3:26:23 PM UTC-7, Dave Leatherman wrote:
The pair of Red Crossbills seen for the last 3 days is definitely nesting in the northeast corner of Section 1.  Section 1 is the southwestermost section of the cemetery.  There is a major cemetery road intersection at the ne corner of Section 1 which also touches the corners of I (letter between H and J, as in "interesting", "ittybitty" and "insect"), H, G, and 8.  Their tree is a big CO blue spruce.  Walking w from the middle of the intersection on the road that divides Section 1 and I, this tree is the second one on the left (south).  Today I had the thrill of watching both the male and the female fly from the spruce nest tree a short distance to a Norway Maple on the ne side of the aforementioned intersection and tear light, fluffy materials from an old robin's nest, take it to the nest, return to the maple, then land at my feet to drink from a muddy puddle!  Quite a privilege.  After their drink, the birds flew off to the east.  Perhaps they just added the final touches to the cup, drank a celebration and went off to do what they do while she grows eggs.

      

I recorded the male singing a few times on my cell phone but now don't know what to do with the files (they exceed 100MB and I can't even mail them to my email).  I would like to edit them down and send to Cornell's Matt Young for ID of which Type they are but am at a loss as to how.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Other interesting birds seen today included a group of 6 Common Ravens cavorting together overhead, a lone Bushtit, increasing numbers of Pine Siskins, and a female Great Horned Owl on the traditional nest.  I searched pretty hard for either of the two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers without any luck.  The adult male might still be around but I took the liberty of removing both from the RBA just now since it has been a week since any reports.  Grandview's wintering sapsuckers traditionally leave in March but late February now seems to be the new early March.  If anybody sees a YbSapsucker at Grandview, please let me know. 

Regarding the ravens, I strongly suspect they bred last year on or near the CSU campus, which I don't think has happened before.  The group today might be part of the new contingent of low-elevation birds that lingers in town or out on the Pawnee beyond the winter to breed.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/42ab670d-1548-405b-94f0-51e2bdcf4d75%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment