Friday 22 March 2019

[cobirds] Advice for an early June visitor?

Hello and thanks for allowing me to join the group.   I will be visiting Colorado on what is probably a one-time trip, the weekend of June 1 and 2 (so a bit after migration), and I'd like to ask for advice to make my birding day as fruitful as it can be.  I will be staying in Denver, and based on my research it looks like most of the best birding places are in the mountains to the west/northwest of the city.  I probably will only have one day available to bird, so I'd like to maximize it by picking a few good places not too far from each other.   Below is my list of target birds, in approximate order of importance to me.  The top five on the list (the starred ones) are the very most important to me, and I'll probably plan my trip around where I have a good chance to see those, and maybe take some time to look for some of the others if there are good locations for them.  I don't know how rare some of these birds are, but based on ebird, it looks like some of my targets (i.e. Lazuli Bunting, Swainson's Hawk) are quite common while some others might not be.

Here's my list.  Any advice would be most appreciated (including if you know of other key local birds I will see in some of these locations), and if any of you visit northern Ohio I'd be glad to return the favor.

Prairie Falcon*
Golden Eagle*
American Dipper*
Lewis's Woodpecker*
Lazuli Bunting*
Mountain Bluebird
Burrowing Owl
Swainson's Hawk
American Three-Toed Woodpecker  
Clark's Nutcracker
Common Poorwill
McGillivray's Warbler
Virginia's Warbler
Red-Naped Sapsucker
Williamson's Sapsucker
Canada Jay
Lark Bunting
Barrow's Goldeneye
Townsend's Solitaire
Dusky Flycatcher
Brewer's Sparrow

Thanks again!  
Aaron Milenski
Lakewood, Ohio

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAHLqLC%2BAThXp5%3Dz2qK%2BkoGPs-fNcniA4emzPEZL3Y9ZDgPLmEQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment