Monday 13 June 2016

[cobirds] NW Colorado Part 2, North West Moffat County

I spent my time in North West Moffat County camping in the beautiful Gates of Lodore campground. My campground had two cottonwoods in which two bullock's orioles might be nesting. For two mornings I got to wake up to their chatter. There was also two Robins that might have been nesting. The second day I witnessed them drive away one of the many magpies and they were not satisfied in driving it across the road, the two robins drove the magpie to the ground and pecked at for a few seconds before the magpie made its escape. Might have been trying to raid their nest. Along the science Lordore Trail there was Black-throated Gray Warblers. Nocturnal viewing proved successful, I found Common Poor-wills to be common here and got to go to sleep listing to them. The wind was blowing the first night so I think that was the reason for not seeing or hearing Common Nighthawks. They were also present and heard the second night in addition to the Poor-Wills. Ebird flagged my count of five Nighthawks but I think it might be under reported, they seemed common and I found them in the fields behind my campground (north) and heard more across the Green River. Nothing like glowing eyes flying by you in the dark! My second night was filled with listing to the poor-wills and nighthawks in my tent, truly a great night.

            Brown's Park National Wildlife Refuge proved a good way to spend the morning of my full day in the area, I found nesting Osprey, many American Coots and a brief glimpse of a Sage Sparrow. The swinging bridge is out of commission for driving but you can walk across it.

            I also explored Irish Canyon and discovered it was not to be missed for birding. Black-throated Gray Warblers were present or heard about everywhere I stopped. At the Rock Art sit at the south end of the canyon was one Ash Throated Flycatcher and Pinyon Jays just past the campground, which was my last Colorado corvid that needed to be seen. I briefly stopped at the Sand Wash Basin to look for Wild Horses on my way back to Craig but the roads proved to rough to try but I found one Loggerhead Shrike.

            One travel advisory I will give to any one looking to take a trip up to the Brown's Park area, bring a can of gas. I did and did not regret it. Dutch John, Utah is 30 miles away but that is by a very rough county road. Craig is about 40 miles from Gates of Lodore. There are no services less then thirty miles away, so come prepared. Irish Canyon, Brown's Park and Gates of Lodore will not disappoint! Listing to Poor Wills and Nighthawks proved the best tent experience for me yet. Certainly better then lighting flashing ten miles away, which happened in the Florida Everglades.



Brian Johnson,

Englewood CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/fa26e7cd-ac4b-4e4c-9009-7bc4f10e6b96%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment