Sunday 31 March 2013

[cobirds] Re: Possibile Red-necked Grebe - Harriman Lake, Jeffco

Dave,
thanks for the ids and for the post.  Too bad they're not Red-necks, but I'm happy with any grebes.  Going back today with my scope.

Regina King
Littleton, CO

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 5:39:00 PM UTC-6, Dave Cameron wrote:
I went down to check the grebes around noontime.  There was one winter-plumage Horned Grebe, and one breeding-plumage Horned Grebe, so at first, I took them to be your pair.  While walking around the west end of the lake, I spotted a third grebe.  It took a while staring at it, as it was very uncooperative (6 seconds up, 30 seconds down, repeatedly, and always with its back to me).  It was quite mottled-looking, but I finally decided it was an Eared Grebe in transitional plumage.  When I finally got onto the North side, I got the definitive look in the scope to confirm this-- the yellow 'ears' are just coming in, the eye was bright red, and the rest of the bird looked like it just crawled out of a coal pit-- all smeary and smudgy looking.  But anyway, it's an Eared. 
 
There is also a breeding-plumage Horned on Crown Hill lake right now.  Crown Hill, unfortunately, is VERY low, and the pond back in the bird sanctuary is completely dry. 
 
Dave Cameron
Denver
 
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cobirds/-/m1COkU5WpoEJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment