Tuesday 25 June 2024

[cobirds] Wandering Bobwhite at Ken Caryl area, JeffCo

This is sort of trivial, as I presume this report "just" pertains to an escaped Northern Bobwhite, but I think it is interesting, and fun because the bird is calling.  On June 22 I had a DFO field trip that met initially at South Valley Park's North Trailhead. As we were doing our round of introductions at 5:45 am a Nor. Bobwhite began to call for several minutes from a point in the distance south of the parking lot. I'd never had or heard of a bobwhite in the Littleton region, so it was a surprise. We drove over to where it was calling from but it had stopped. I added it to the checklist then, taking advantage of eBird functionality with non-established exotics. 

Now today, at 4:48 am, still more dark than light, one began to call near my Ken Caryl Valley home. It called about 5 times. My home is 1.5 miles from the South Valley Park location, as the bobwhite walks. I'm betting $20 it is the same individual and it has walked over my way. 

A number of years ago a Chukar appeared in my yard for a few days, and then a handful of days after one was reported near Morrison. This is another situation where the species is normally not present at all in this area, and I believed that chukar had walked from my yard north through the hogback area for about 5 miles to this other location.

These birds are good walkers.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RopC2cCweG4jnKN_9NwuTNL9xCZUPfxb%3DnB9i5VOvLPYhg%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment