Wednesday 14 February 2024

[cobirds] Some Ken Caryl birds, JeffCo

My wintering Red Fox Sparrow has been a very sporadic and mostly uncooperative visitor over the last 5 weeks. It is still around, but is predictable only in that it has lately been appearing only in snowy conditions, and then briefly, and in not the best light at its favorite cover in my front yard.

Yesterday a Say's Phoebe was near my home - a winter season first for me at Ken Caryl Valley in 10 winters. They normally appear here only in the main migration periods and while nesting; even though winter birds are more regular down "in town," that is not the case within the hogbacks.  Similarly, a Mourning Dove calling today near my home had no February precedent here in Ken Caryl Valley by my observation. I have but one other record near my home between late Oct and the end of March. Perhaps both the Say's and Mourning were making some sort of seasonal movement and not just wandering a slight bit? I wonder.

A flock of nine Type 5 Red Crossbills flew over my home today. They have mostly been absent in my local area for a few months, and Type 5 has been missing here at Ken Caryl for a while. Types 2 and 4 were prominent here late summer to early fall, but none since. 

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cobirds
* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate.
* Join Colorado Field Ornithologists https://cobirds.org/membership/
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RopuTjES_c9w7FuUq5EgHz_xO1WbsN5AYQnJ1q%3DD8tXhkA%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment