Wednesday 17 February 2021

[cobirds] Winter birds, Las Animas Junction, Bent County CO

Birders,

I've been forced to stay close to home during the deep freeze due to frozen pipes, but local birding near Las Animas Junction, Bent County, CO has been rewarding. I assume all reservoirs are totally frozen (-31 F can do that). There may be places on the Arkansas River that still have open water.

The hardest bird to find, but probably the most exciting, has been Purple Finch. I go out all the time, but have only seen Purple Finches four times since the New Year. Rarely, Purple Finches will find my ground-feeding station just east of the RR Crossing of the Purgatoire River two miles east of Las Animas (approached by a circuitous route from south of the Purgatoire River). Yesterday, I found three female-type Purple Finches in tall sunflowers south of the railroad track. I photographed two of them. I got to share them with two local birders.

At my feeding station south of the aluminum shed and propane tank on the east side of the Railroad Bridge, a red Fox Sparrow showed up yesterday, when I photographed it. It was still there today.

I was able to photograph an uncommon mix of east meets west today at another place north of the railroad tracks where I scatter seeds. In this picture, the Northern Cardinal is the expected bird, while Mountain Chickadees only appear this far east of the mountains during invasion years. I saw five Northern Cardinals on my walk today. Yesterday, I saw two hybrid Spotted X Eastern Towhees in the same area.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO





No comments:

Post a Comment