Saturday 24 October 2020

[cobirds] Re: Mexican Duck ID question (Pleasant View Marsh, Boulder Cty)

Hi Thomas!
I'll start with a disclaimer: I'm not an expert on Mexican Ducks.
The reason I'm putting in a word is because I remember learning from a waterfowl presentation that Mallard ducks (both sexes) and Northern Shovelers are the only dabbling ducks that have white tail feathers. Since Mexican Duck is not either Mallard or Northern Shoveler, a pure Mexican Duck should not have white tail feathers. I do agree that this bird looks to have Mexican genes. The bill and head look consistent with Mexican, but the tail looks more Mallard to me. I'd suggest this is a Mexican x Mallard, although I'm eagerly awaiting the experts to weigh in on this one. Great photo!

The birds are happy, and so am I
~Caleb Alons, Larimer County

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c3ad1830-2d24-4933-8845-136f6a1cbb34n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment