Saturday 28 September 2019

[cobirds] Re: 1,000 days of complet checklsit celebration at Barr Lake, Adams County

Congratulations!


On Friday, September 27, 2019 at 9:37:21 PM UTC-6, Brian Johnson wrote:

I started some time ago with ebird's challenge of a full year of complete bird checklist, and I kept going after that year. Many times, I had to make due with a five-minute yard list before work, other times I would have a great day trip or a long vacation. And there was some day that proved a challenge. But today I hit a rather exiting number, 1,000 days of complete checklist streak on ebird! Seeing this day coming I made plans and thought of my favorite places to go bird watching, and take the day off if needed. In the end I did not need to, fortunately the day fall on my off Friday. I had a month ago settled on going to Barr Lake, always a favorite of mine.

                I found the bird activity to be rather quite for this place, but I still had a fun day of wandering about and seeing what I could find. I managed to pick out three Clark's Grebes out of the remaining Western Grebes, and I found a sparrow that might have been a Clay-Collared but I am not sure on that. I have a few photos to go over to see, it's either a Clay-Collard or a Chipping Sparrow. I also found some White-Crowned Sparrows, a sign of the changing seasons at this low altitude.

   The biggest excitement I got was watching the resident Bald Eagle nest. There was one adult on the nest, and when it left a Black-billed Magpie landed in the nest to have a look. The eagle shortly returned and bombed the nest, driving out the Magpie, but these birds are rather persistent and returned, only to be driven out again. Despite the low activity it was a fun day and a fun way to celebrate a rather devoted streak. I will keep it going.


Good birding,

Brian Johnson,

Englewood CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/b705345c-4b99-47da-afbf-751402c48c77%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment