Saturday 26 August 2017

[cobirds] Re: Rattlesnake vs. jay

Good observations, very interesting - thank you.

Erik Hendrickson
Cortez, CO

On Friday, August 25, 2017 at 9:56:56 AM UTC-6, Raymond Davis wrote:
On 8/23 I saw a rattlesnake under my sunflower feeder (common occurrence ), so I went to get a trashcan and snake stick to catch it, but it had moved by the time I got back to it.   I catch 0-7 each year and move them away from the house..

On 8/24, there was a dead Steller's Jay under that feeder.   I poked at it, and saw no sign of what killed it.    Later I looked for it, but it was gone, so we figured the dogs moved it.   Maybe 1 hour later, my wife and sister-in-law spot the rattler heading into some tall grass, so I go catch it.   AND, the dead jay is back within 3 feet of where I originally saw it, and the head and shoulders are all black and slick and icky.

Those of you that have been here have probably seen my pictures of a rattler eating a red crossbill, and several years ago, as I captured a rattler with a red crossbill (another one)
in his mouth, he regurgitated it so that he could defend himself.    That dead bird was amazingly partially digested already, even though it only got 1/2 way down the snake gullet.

SO I think, with some poor visual evidence, that the rattler struck and killed the Steller's Jay this morning, then tried to swallow it back under a rock but couldn't fit it, so regurgitated it on his way back out to hunt.  The rattler would not confirm or deny my theory.  The dead jay was nowhere near a window, so I don't think it was a window strike.

Davis - at 6,000 ft. 4 miles NW of Lyons (Larimer County)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/4a13b851-ffa2-4d81-8eb8-bbe6cca15e76%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment