Thursday 22 June 2017

[cobirds] Yellow Breasted Chats and MacGillivray's Warblers

Hey all -

I went out to Eldorado Springs this morning to see if the Lewis's Woodpeckers were back in the trees up on the ridge, but I didn't see them.  Maybe they have found another place to nest this year ...

I walked around the back side of the first ridge, and over towards Eldorado State Park.  In the trees along the Fowler Trail, after it turns off from the road I saw several birds of interest.  There were a few Blue-Grey Gnatcatchers, a few Black-Capped Chickadees, and what I thought were two Yellow-Breasted Chats, based on partial white around the eye, and a yellow breast.  The yellow went clear down the belly to the tail, however, which puzzled me for awhile.  Closer to the rock cut by the Bastille, I saw another one in the bushes along side the trail, and got a better look.  The bird had a grey head, grey extending down towards the breast, and yellow below that, on the belly and down to the tail.  Then the light came on, and I realized that they were MacGillivray's Warblers.  The quick looks that I had earlier didn't show the head clearly.

Moving on down the trail, I looked into the canyon on the back side of the Bastille, and there were a bunch of White-Throated Swifts flying around up and down the rock faces and over the creek.  30-40 of them. I watched them for about ten minutes, but didn't see much of anything else.   Heading back out,  close to the rock cut in the first ridge, I looked back towards the higher peaks, and there was a Golden Eagle circling above one of the ridges.   A couple of Turkey Vultures were also seen circling to the north above the Mesa Trail area.  On the trail back to the car, I saw (and heard) several Spotted Towhees, a Blue Jay, a Mourning Dove, and a few Magpies.  And of course, a few Yellow-Breasted Chats, working through the bushes looking for food. 
I was disappointed that the Lewis's Woodpeckers weren't around this year, but as usual, there were other birds worth watching along that trail.

Good birding -

Jeff Parks
Boulder

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/8cb9ab7d-1f87-4e24-9ee8-3b8b25099abb%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment