Friday 23 June 2017

[cobirds] White Rocks Trail - and a mystery bird

Well, it wasn't raining, so I thought I would go and see what was lurking at White Rocks Trail this afternoon. 

Things started off pretty well, there were LOTS of swallows all over the place, a lot of Cliff Swallows, but some VG and Barn as well.  The trees along the trail had House Wrens, Song Sparrows, a pair of Red-Tailed Hawks, some Bullock's Orioles and a few Flickers.  The fields had lots of swallows along with some Kingbirds, mostly Eastern but a couple of Western.  I scanned the marshy areas to the north of the RR tracks, and found a Great Blue Heron, some Canada Geese, a few Mallards and a Greater Yellowlegs?  I couldn't tell for sure with the binoculars, it was around 200 yards out, but it looked like one to me.  There were a few Spotted Sandpipers flitting around the marsh as well, and all of a sudden, an Osprey dropped in out of nowhere, and started taking a bath.  The wading birds disappeared quickly, but popped back out after ten or fifteen minutes.  I continued down the trail towards the creek, and found some Yellow Warblers, Black Capped Chickadees, and a few Robins chirping away.  Close to the bridge, I saw Lots of Swallows again, including some Tree and a few Northern Rough Wing. 

In a tree not too far from the bridge, a mystery bird sat near the top, mostly yellow underneath, with some black under the beak somewhat like an Oriole.  After looking through Sibley, I thought maybe an Orchard Oriole, but it had a grey head.  I managed to take a couple of quick pictures in between looks through the binoculars.  I tried to take a couple of steps so I could get a better picture, but I spooked it, and it quickly disappeared behind the trees.  I didn't get a look at the upper side of the wing, so I only saw what is in the pictures.  It was not quite as big as a Bullock's Oriole, I thought it might be a warbler, but didn't see anything in Sibley that looked quite like this.

So, any thoughts on what this might be?  Is it an Oriole?  Or something else? 

Jeff Parks
Boulder

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/1dcf0871-ccfd-46f1-83b5-0d28407a906b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment