Saturday 17 December 2016

[cobirds] Where that Purple Sandpiper may have been headed


Hi Everyone,

When I heard about the Dillon Purple Sandpiper, I was very curious about how it came to be there. I have an idea of where it trying to go. A couple of winters ago, I was birding in San Blas on the west coast of Mexico. I found out there was a Purple Sandpiper wintering at the jetty there with Surfbiirds and Ruddy Turnstones. I was able to get nice looks at it. It would be worth finding out if it also overwintered last year. If so, it seems not unreasonable that the Dillon bird was on its way back to San Blas and got caught in the weather.

Be safe out there if you chase it.

Mark Miller
Longmont, CO 


Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment