Wednesday 1 June 2016

[cobirds] Logan County highlights, 6/1/16

Hi folks,

I've been scheming to head back up to Tamarack Ranch for several weeks now to do some sound recording, and today I finally had time to do it. I hadn't been up there in almost 7 years! I also tacked on a fairly short visit to Red Lion SWA and Julesberg Reservoir before heading back.

I enjoyed most of the same birds recently reported by Austin Hess and Brian Johnson, but with a couple alterations. I spent about 3 1/2 hours birding the East side before making a 1 hr trip to the West side.

Northern Cardinal - yes, at least 2 singing males (one recorded well) if not more (East)
Great Crested Flycatcher - yes, a pair calling repeatedly early in the a.m. (East)
Field Sparrow - yes, one singing commonly around Area 5 (East) and recorded well
Grasshopper Sparrow - yes, several singing in the grass and sagelands (recorded)
Red-headed Woodpecker - yes, lost count. Recorded some continuous chatter by Area 5.
Red-bellied Woodpecker - yes, many heard
Bewick's Wren - no.
Northern Parula - no, but I didn't search for it. If it was there it was silent.
Red-eyed Vireo - yes (East). It was mostly silent but it did utter a single strophe once which clued me in to its presence.
Bell's Vireo - yes, at least 4 (West). Best point-blank looks I've ever had at a pair, and great recordings. I was thrilled to find one at the exact same spot where I had my lifer Bell's at Tamarack 11 years ago with Nick Komar!
Baltimore Oriole - yes, several.
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - no. A bit surprised I didn't find one, but oh well.

My big rarity highlight today at Tamarack was a GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH scooting along in the upper branches of some cottonwoods with a couple Swainson's Thrushes (east side, around Area 7), providing for a helpful on-the-spot comparison.

At Red Lion, I stopped at the dam for Jumbo and made my way down to the small grove beneath the dam. I'd never been there before, and although it was getting on 11:30am by that point, it was still active birdwise. Mostly expected species like Yellow Warbler and Orchard Oriole (I saw more Orchards today than I ever have in my life, including a flock of about 12 along the Logan-Sedgwick county line road!), but I did have a quick visit from a Hairy Woodpecker and a Veery. While walking toward the duck blind I apparently spooked a family of Soras which called sharply to each other (while I recorded them) until I gave them peace and vacated the area.

Lastly, on Julesberg Res itself there were about 10 Black Terns dipping and darting about. Oodles of Eared Grebes (meaning ~30-40) way way way up on the north end of the drink, just resolvable in the scope.

And really lastly, I passed an Eastern Phoebe doing the usual phoebe things on the CO 55 bridge crossing the S Platte on my way back the freeway.

Would have loved to have kept going, but I needed to get back home and get ready for the next work week.

Good birding, everyone!

-------
Eric DeFonso
Westminster, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAFjVA_ZrwsRcz7PQmq_9hZ72j0a_2dFxv7LDRfiMGFN47koYoQ%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment