Sunday 16 August 2015

[cobirds] Re: help on vireo ID (song), St Vrain Bridge, Hygiene (Boulder Cnty)

Hi, Linda & all. There have been at least three Red-eyed Vireos there this summer:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/cobirds/author$3Ame/cobirds/IqD83AkdzZA

I don't agree that the bird or birds necessarily are breeding there. They might be. But the presence of singing Red-eyed Vireos doesn't necessarily confirm breeding. It was Christian Nunes, I believe, who made an analogous point with regard to the amazing Baird's Sparrows of Larimer County--although with the Baird's Sparrows, the evidence, while admittedly still circumstantial, is quite tantalizing.

While I have y'all's attention, I'll mention that there's at least one--and probably only one, haha--spot in Boulder County with shorebird habitat. On a tip from one of my invisible companions on the Aug. 13 Perseids trip, I went down to Stearns Lake, barely Boulder County, the morning of Friday, Aug. 14, where I found:

4 Snowy Egrets
1 Bald Eagle
1 Virginia Rail
14 Killdeer
8 Spotted Sandpipers
1 Solitary Sandpiper
2 Least Sandpipers
1 Wilson's Snipe
Chipping, Brewer's, Lark, Vesper, Savannah, and Song Sparrows, plus Lark Bunting
2 Great-tailed Grackles

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County


On Sunday, August 16, 2015 at 12:48:08 PM UTC-6, Fauvette wrote:
Hi folks--

I almost forgot to ask you this, and now it may be too late.

After doing a birdcount in a closed property on Thursday morning, I stopped by the bridge on N. 61st/63rd St north of Hygiene Rd (the place where people often get the odd species like Winter Wren or Red-eyed Vireo, etc).

I heard a song I had heard earlier in the spring (June) on the nearby closed property: it sounds to me like a Philadelphia Vireo. It could be a mellow Red-eyed, but since it is a bit unique, I thought I'd see if anyone else can go have a listen and let me know what you think.

I'm as certain as I am capable of being (concerning birds) that it is a vireo spuh. It sings very short phrases with a 1 sec. pause between them (unlike Red-eyed, which kinda has a motor-mouth). It says, "See me? Pretty me? Dios mio!" and keeps on going with that type of intonation. Not annoying enough for a Warbling, not hoarsely dreamy enough for a Solitary (nor is it the right habitat).

Whatever it is is breeding there: it's song was being echoed phrase by phrase by a bird further up the creek. Unless someone was doing a playback joke on me...

Thanks for any comments--

Linda Andes-Georges
central Boulder Cnty

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/859fc603-134c-4534-8cef-660b4aa249ee%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment