Tuesday 20 January 2015

[cobirds] Possible Eurasian Wigeon/Barr Lake State Park (Adams Co.)

Hi All,

Yesterday (1/20/15) at around 4pm I had a possible male Eurasian Wigeon at Barr Lake State Park (Adams). The bird was flying ESE over my head with 3 Americans, seen from where I stood on the wooded sandspit south of the boat launch ramp. I didn't go for my camera (perhaps foolishly, but I almost certainly wouldn't have gotten photos in the 1-2 second window). I managed only very brief binocular views of the bird (from virtually 180° behind), which proved inconclusive. Could not relocate, but the group began to veer S (probably heading back to the res) just as they left my field of view.

I have no current way of confirming or invalidating this sighting, but it may be advisable for birders in the area to give the lake a look. Perhaps the light was weird, or perhaps I'm just seeing things, but I can't come up with any other options for rufous headed wigeon-like birds. If there's a Eurasian Widgeon anywhere in the state right now, Barr is as good a place as any.

The birding was otherwise fairly good, with notable gulls including singles of Cal, LBB and an adult Glaucous, along with 21 white geese (2 Ross's).

Best,

Alec Hopping
Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/053fd122-1227-452e-aa78-a86b66bafeda%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment