Sunday 4 May 2014

[cobirds] Black-throated Green Warbler, Kentucky Warbler in Bent County

Birders,

Today was a work day for me, but in May, I take time to look for other
birds, especially on weekends. After I finished checking the large
Piping Plover closure on the south side of the reservoir, I returned to
my truck. In the half-dozen or so saltcedar trees that give me some
cover, I found an adult male Black-throated Green Warbler. Sometimes
it's better to be lucky than good. Seeing this species at eye-level was
a treat. I knew I was on to something, because when I reached for my
camera, I found I'd left it at home, nearly guaranteeing more good birds
later in the day. This bird would have been impossible to chase, as it
soon left the shrubs for points unknown.

Eventually, I found myself at Melody Tempel Grove. Pausing at the
memorial bench, I found a male Kentucky Warbler in the leaf litter south
of the bench. I called a bunch of people. Responding to my call were
Janeal Thompson, Dave Leatherman, and Norma and Lance Verhoeff. The
Kentucky Warbler was very difficult to relocate, but within an hour, all
four birders eventually got great looks at the Kentucky Warbler. While
searching with the group, I found an Ovenbird in the exact same
location. Where it came from is beyond me. There was also a resplendent
male Rose Breasted Grosbeak here this afternoon.

Good luck to future searchers. Be patient and eventually these birds,
and undoubtedly more, may reappear from out of nowhere.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/5366C7D7.9050003%40centurytel.net.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment