Friday 22 February 2013

[cobirds] Yellow-bellied and Williamson's Sapsuckers, Greater White-fronted Geese still in Canon City, Black Phoebe in Florence

Today I also located 4 male and 1 female Williamson's Sapsuckers around Canon City.  I have uploaded a photo of one of the males (they are so striking) onto my Birds and Nature blog.  I had seen 2 female Williamson's earlier this week so likely there is another female around town I did not find.  Actually I had observed two female Williamson's engage in an agnostic interaction, possibly relating to both feeding too near each other (after the interaction they went to separate trees but less than 50 feet of each other).  I have in the past observed male Williamson's bully female Williamson's from a tree but not two females interacting.  Since I returned earlier this month from an extending trip to So Texas I have found the sapsuckers trading feeding areas often (though I can't tell with same sex Williamson's, I will see a male at one location then on another day a female will be there).  I also saw a female Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that is very, very shy and often difficult to locate. 

Ten Greater White-fronted Geese continue to winter in Canon City.  I have seen them frequently at the private ponds set back several hundred yards east of Willow St just to the south of it's intersection with Poplar St in Lincoln Park. 

Earlier this week I birded Florence River Park just to the northeast of Florence where I heard then saw a Black Phoebe. 

I have also seen a Prairie Falcon in two locations around Canon City this week, a bird that is pretty unusual for here.  I also had a Merlin last week in the Canon City area.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Personal blog @ BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com
Blogging for Birds and Blooms Magazine @ http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/author/seetta-moss/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment