Wednesday 20 February 2013

[cobirds] Hoary Redpoll(s), Larimer 2/20/13

Folks,

This afternoon before the storm, I visited the Museum of Discovery in Ft Collins where around 70 redpolls continue. I saw one male Hoary Redpoll, and two other possible Hoaries in about an hour and a half. The variation between individual redpolls at the museum is really striking, and I couldn't help but compare them to the 5 subspecies of juncos present: while the redpolls represent 2 species (ostensibly;)), the juncos represent only one (again, ostensibly). However, most of the time (and I say most of the time because juncos can be funky, I saw some weird ones today) we have no problem identifying juncos to subspecies, but as COBirders have seen this year redpolls are quite difficult to separate to species. [Whether there are in fact two species is not apropos of this post:)] In any case, I had juncos and redpolls both that I could not/would not fully identify. Maybe I'm the only one who finds juncos interesting...Anyway, other interesting things at the museum were an Eastern White-breasted Nuthatch, a Wilson's Snipe, and a Sharpie that disrupted the redpoll show for about 20 minutes.

As with the Rosy-finches at Red Rocks, tomorrow would be a good day to study redpolls at the museum.

Cheers,

Dan Maynard
Boulder, CO
Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment