Wednesday 27 May 2020

[cobirds] Gray Vireo singing from the nest , Mesa County

CO Birders :

While visiting my son in New Castle this past weekend , I took the opportunity to do an early morning visit to Cameo and Coal Canyon in Mesa county before it got too hot and the motor bikes and ATV's started up.

I did get to see and photograph Chukar my target bird , male and female , they seem to have moved much further up Coal Canyon than previous years , probably because of the active shooting range in the lower part of the Canyon.

And I did find a Gray Vireo nest in juniper in Coal Canyon , took me over half an hour to find it , could hear the bird singing but just could not see it despite being only 6 feet from the sound . So eventually I found the nest and the bill of the vireo just poking above the rim of the nest . My question is what sex was this bird , can both male and female vireos sing the same song from the nest ?. It was singing the same song as on Sibley.

IMG_3809.1jpg.jpg

John Drummond

Colorado Springs 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/387834899.762695.1590620033510%40mail.yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment