Friday 17 January 2020

[cobirds] Bent County, January 17, 2020

Birders,

I drove about 25 miles south of Las Animas (Bent County) to check out
Setchfield SWA this morning. Mountain Bluebirds are abundant here this
winter, drawn by the bumper crop of berries of One-seeded Junipers. I
hoped to find other wintering species using this resource on the one
public-access to this habitat in Bent County. From Hankins Cemetery,
just before SH 101 veers to the SE, I headed west, then south to the
SWA. I veered right at the red mailbox south of the well-signed entrance
to the SWA, and drove south until I could see the ruptured Muddy Creek
dam. I walked west to the mesa top on an abandoned switchback road
leading to the old quarry on top of the ridge. I found two very
cooperative Sage Thrashers on the mesa top, consorting with some Canyon
Towhees. Along the way, I encountered a cooperative Ladder-backed
Woodpecker. Sage Thrashers are present some winters and absent in others
here, and this happens to be a banner year for them due to the abundant
juniper berry crop.

I went to John Martin Reservoir, and was shocked to see that almost all
of the ice was gone. That meant that ducks were dispersed, and not
restricted to a few holes in the ice. I did re-find the male Long-tailed
Duck reported previously, not far offshore from Point Overlook on the
north side of the reservoir. Curiously, I saw almost no gulls at any of
my viewing spots on the north side of the reservoir, a stark contrast to
hundreds of up to eight species in previous weeks.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c231800a-00f9-2dcc-a9fc-5702160cdb8c%40centurytel.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment