Saturday 20 April 2019

[cobirds] Singing Swamp Sparrow - Ken Caryl Valley JeffCo 4/20

This morning the wintering Swamp Sparrow was singing in my front yard at 6:36 am. I'm not sure, but I expect it is a rare event to hear a singing Swamp Sparrow in Colorado!

When I first heard the song - in this case a simple junco-like trill - the bird was out of view and I did not immediately recognize who was singing. After a few renditions I suspected it was the Swamp, which was soon confirmed when he flew into the open to forage. he only sang about 7 times. Hopefully next time I'll be faster on the draw to get a recording. I tried playing a recording of a song while the bird was in view, but it showed no apparent interest, which has been the standard response over the months it has been here on the few occasions I played a recording.

He has gotten brighter now, with lovely red on the crown and contrasting black at the edge of the crown.

This morning he spent some time foraging under a parked car, and hoping about in the open on the asphalt of my cul-de-sac. Crazy.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAGj6RooM08Vzm23VxVU5iEjNYnO7eLXLZgUS8qUGSt-j2Wdufw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment