Sunday, 14 October 2018

[cobirds] Sandhill Cranes - altitude - NW Custer County

COBirders—

  Yesterday morning at about 9:30 I was outside our cabin in the northern Sangre de Cristo range enjoying the pleasant weather when I heard a few Sandhill Cranes calling.  The sky was mostly clear and judging from what I was hearing they were headed over the range toward the Monte Vista NWR.  In spite of my best naked-eye efforts I could never see them.  The mountains near our cabin include several close-neighboring peaks above 13,500 ft. over which the cranes were flying.  Even though I’ve experienced a number of crane fly-overs there it always provides a thrill.

   Late yesterday, intimidated by the menacing forecasts of 7 to 12 inches of snow, we retreated to our house under Pueblo’s protective bubble.  Zero snow here today so far.

Leon Bright, Pueblo and Westcliffe

No comments:

Post a Comment