Friday 22 September 2017

[cobirds] Painted Lady...Appetizers (Crowley County)

This goes to Dave Leatherman's seeking info on birds eating Painted Lady butterflies. I'm kind of glad he brought it up, because I had a bird behavior moment that I can't stop thinking about:

On Monday I left at dark thirty and covered a lot of ground in Crowley, Otero, Bent, and Kiowa Counties, Painted Lady butterflies were everywhere I went, in greater numbers than I'd seen in the Denver area. It made bird-spotting very difficult, every butterfly movement was a bird for a split second.

At Lake Meredith (Crowley Co), as I was hiking the north shore going eastward, a Peregrine Falcon took off from a tree ahead of me and went out over the water only about 60 feet up. I put my binoculars on it and just when I thought it was going to be a typically fast, powerful, mean-spirited falcon and fly upwards to dive-bomb a gull or something, it slowed and then stalled to grab a Painted Lady in it's bill. After going wide-eyed over that move, I realized that while ignoring the butterflies all over the ground, it had seen this one over the lake and went straight to it. Then, still flying slowly for a Peregrine, it angled over, feet went up, and it grabbed another one, this time in it's claws. It went out of binocular view after I saw it take a total of three butterflies, in fairly graceful fashion, then went up and out quickly like a Peregrine Falcon should.

Dan Stringer
Larkspur, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/8afe1915-ee98-45da-8dc8-51a11137dd79%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment