Wednesday 12 July 2017

[cobirds] Urgent nestling question

I have had a say's phoebe nesting on the drain pipe at my front window now for some time and they were doing quite well. Over the last two days the female didn't appear to be doing very well. She stayed in the nest and didn't go out getting food even though the nestlings were calling out constantly. There was another Phoebe coming in on occasion and bringing food but not very often.
There were only two chicks to begin with and one fell out of the nest this morning and was killed. I thought that might be just as well and that maybe the other phoebe could provide adequately for just one chick. When I got home tonight, there was one chick in the nest and no parent. When I looked back out, the Phoebe had fallen to the ground and was sitting in the rain. He has a fair number of feathers but is not ready to fledge.
I have the bird in a box with a miniature water bottle to warm him up. I'm leaving first thing in the morning so the question is do I put the phoebe back out in my garden and hope that the other parent comes and takes care of it or do I try to get it to a rehab center? My concern about a rehab center is that, in my experience, the young stay with the parents fairly long after they have fledged and are assisted in getting food for a while. I'm afraid he wouldn't get that kind of teaching and help at a rehab center.

Other than telling me to let nature take it's course, does anyone have some words of wisdom for me on this situation?

Deb Carstensen, Littleton



Sent from my iPhone

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/35DF79C2-36DC-4C64-8380-322DEEEB662A%40aol.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment