Sunday 18 December 2016

[cobirds] Northern Goshawk - High Line Canal Trail - Arapahoe

While walking my dog and daydreaming along the High Line Canal Trail (location here) in Greenwood Village (Arapahoe Co.), I spotted a pale, grayish raptor circling over us. My first thought was of a male harrier, but only because I couldn't recall any other pale, gray raptor from the mental catalog of birds I carry with me. Usually, I can't flip through that catalog quickly enough to appreciate an unexpected bird in the field, relying instead on photos viewed from my laptop long after. This time, happily, I could. As the bird cut by me again, I realized it had no harrier features and, so, I pulled another card from the catalog: "GOSHAWK!" I rushed to grab a photo to confirm the impression. I only was able to get a rather unimpressive one before the bird ceased circling and flew west. I think the photo shows what I think it shows. (If it doesn't, gently correct me and I'll sheepishly correct the record.) 


What stupid, dumb luck that put me where a goshawk was. I was nearing the end of my walk with my dog. We'd actually gone past where we'd parked, just to see what was a bit further down the trail. (Never have I been better rewarded for being inflicted with "around the bend syndrome," a condition that causes me to believe there's always some better bird...well...just around the bend.) Had there even just been Cedar Waxwing or any kind of sparrow other than juncos along the trail, I probably would have stopped to observe them and likely missed this life bird.

Or could my 15 pound, Chihuahua-Terrier mix handle snow and the cold better, we probably would have spent more time at Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve earlier in the afternoon and likely missed this bird. Instead, we took a short walk at the preserve, where I was able to see the White-throated Sparrow & Norther Shrike again. The Harlan's Red-tail also showed. The best area of the preserve to bird is the eastern edge, where the berrying bushes are still berried and robins, waxwings, and sparrows feed. That's where the Harlan's usually is as well.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/792800d5-a4fb-45c1-a87c-f0631d7aa641%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment