Monday 24 October 2016

[cobirds] Larimer and Weld today 10/24

I, too, saw the Pacific Loon found by Georgia and John this morning at Douglas Res. I did not see the Common Loon reported by Joe.

At Hamilton Res by the Rawhide Power Plant I had 1 Pacific and 1 Common Loon. Also my FOS American Tree Sparrows and an estimated 75 Canvasbacks.

At A&B Res #1 on Weld CR128 a few miles west of CR77 were 7 lingering Greater Yellowlegs and wave upon wave of Sandhill Cranes (estimate 3500).  

On Weld CR122 just east of CR77 was a spectacle right out of Nebraska with an additional 5000-plus cranes landed in winter wheat, swirling overhead and streaming past. Hundreds of Lapland Longspurs gave machine gun bursts among the thousands of Horned Larks. Almost sensory overload.

My guess would be this week will be "Crane Week" along the Front Range and eastern plains. They are coming.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins


Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

No comments:

Post a Comment