Thursday 25 February 2016

[cobirds] Interesting Hawk - Ft Collins (Larimer)

Greetings birders,

While driving to work this afternoon, I was on Mountain Ave, close to  the traditional Turkey Vulture roost  of Ft Collins when I briefly saw a large, dark and raptor-like bird with lighter colored secondaries swoop through some trees. I only had glimpse of it but I was certain it was a Turkey Vulture, it looked right, right place, definitely too early but yeah, TV.  Wow! Turkey Vulture! that's crazy, it's still February isn't it, I thought to myself, I quickly pulled over to safely enter an ebird list. There, I saw it again flying to the north being harassed by some Crows. I had a lousy view due to the angle and all the tree tops but it was enough to tell that I was looking at a hawk and not a Turkey Vulture. It's probably just a dark morphed Red-tailed Hawk but I can't get over how much it looked like a Turkey Vulture - I was certain it was - could it have been a Zone-tailed Hawk?

I'm throwing that out there on the slim chance a tropical Zone-tailed Hawk is flying around northern Colorado in February - at least a few more eyes will be looking for it.

David Wade
Ft Collins

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/e2423d67-9910-4cd1-9e23-534365897ffd%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment