Monday 5 May 2014

[cobirds] Marbled Godwit, Glossy Ibis, Lazuli Buntings, W Tanager & Peregrine chasing ibis in Canon City area

I found 2 Marbled Godwits amongst about 200 dark ibis in flooded ag fields in nearby Florence this morning (Monday morning).  These are pretty rare in the Canon City area with few ebird reports and firsts for me here.  I have uploaded photos of one of the godwits on my Birds and Nature blog.

Among those dark ibis I found at least 1 and likely 2 Glossy Ibis (photos later).  They were very spooky and all flew when a Red-tailed Hawk fly by, then cocked their heads to the side to view the sky after they landed again.

My day started off with 2 male Lazuli Buntings battling each other by song in my yard and my neighbor's yard.  Got to see both but no photos of them.

Also saw a first of the year female Western Tanager in my neighbor's tree this morning.

This afternoon I spotted a flock of about 25 dark ibis in Canon City and watched a Peregrine Falcon fly after them.  The Peregrine got something and went to the ground to eat it but all this was several hundred feet away so I don't know if it was an ibis or something else it had for dinner.  But maybe this Peregrine buzzed the ibis in Florence and made them paranoid about raptors.

SeEtta Moss


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckrZ8fs5W11xJ6U7_r2_chLvoZ%3DEekEpRJnjUu65x68zYA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment