Thursday 8 May 2014

[cobirds] Bonny and Flagler Birds on 5/9

I was out east today and the birding was terrific.   

 

The morning started at the west end of what used to be Bonny Reservoir.  Just where the south side road turns from heading east to south, I found a Northern Waterthrush.  It turned out to me my only “eastern” warbler of the day, but there were lots of other attractions.  A couple hundred years from this spot where the road crosses what used to be billed as a high-water mark, I stopped for a pair of Baltimore Orioles and quickly had a Northern Cardinal as well.  That got me out and walking around on both sides of the road.  I discovered that I had happened on a mini-fallout with a strong wind from the north causing all northbound birds to dive into the first trees they found as they worked their way up the plains.  Lots of Warbling Vireos and Clay-colored Sparrows were about as well as a Yellow-breasted Chat and a female Western Tanager plus other stuff including a welcomed Black-capped Chickadee where they have been scarce post-West Nile.  A bit further on were a pair of Mississippi Kites.

 

At the Hale crossroads there were gobs of birds including more Baltimore Orioles, several Orchard Orioles, Blue, Black-headed and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, scores of Clay-colored and hundreds of Lark Sparrows.  Hale Ponds was more of the same—my notes show 35 species in 50 minutes including my FOS Red-headed Woodpecker and Lazuli Bunting.

 

By late afternoon I had made my way back to Flagler SWA where the female Hooded Warbler that I found yesterday was still in the same spot (NE corner grove).  Below the Flagler dam was a Great Crested Flycatcher.

 

Bill Kaempfer

Boulder

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment