Monday 25 November 2013

[cobirds] Gull ID help - Aurora - Arapahoe County

I was wondering if someone could help me with a couple of gull IDs.  These are both from Aurora Reservoir, where I thought I'd take a look at some of the birds seen yesterday.  I'm larus challenged, however, so I could use all the help I can get. 
 
The first bird, I'm calling an immature Glaucous Gull.  It is a large bird, bi-colored (pink with black tip) bill, pink legs, pale color, whitish wingtips, dark eye:
 
 
 
The second I'm just calling a gull.  I didn't notice any dark or black wing tips on this one.  It also seemed bigger than all the birds around it and had a slightly less streaked head. 
 
 
I apologize for the over sharpening and lack of perfect field mark views.  There are other shots of these, and one I'm calling a Lesser Black-backed Gull.
 
John Breitsch
Denver, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/12427bb6-3394-48e5-a875-358139e86aa0%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

No comments:

Post a Comment