Saturday 29 September 2012

[cobirds] Last Chance, less birds, Washington Co.

Hi all,
 
Got to Last Chance late this afternoon and the good birds from yesterday were not there this late afternoon. Flight conditions must have been fairly good last night for migrants and I think alot took advantage of the weather conditions. Driving home at night did not have good conditions. See below.
 
The WINTER WREN was there, along with the Sora. I could not get a good look of the Winter Wren although it was about three feet hidden infront of me. So, I could not tell which subspecies the bird was. It did not call either. The Sora was a young bird[not an adult]. I have seen the past 3 falls in a row, 3 different looking Soras at Last Chance. They know a good place to stop.  Pondweed, which is high in protein is floating all ontop of the tiny pond. The Sora was feeding on the pondweed, plus along the sides of the water. I did not see the Philadelphia Vireo, but got a so, so, look at the Blue-headed Vireo [the sun was going down].
I also did not see the Palm Warbler or a Townsend's Warbler. The Clay-colored Sparrow, Lincoln's, and some White-crowned, and 2 White-throated Sparrows were still there. Alot of Wilson's Warblers were everywhere, along with Yellow-rumped Warblers. Every bird seen yesterday by Mark and Kirk were still around but in much, much, less numbers. I also did not see the Marsh Wren.
*The only new bird for Last Chance[compared to yesterday's list] which I saw today, was a Yellow-breasted Chat.
 
While I looked down into the many new, 12 inch high, Russian Thistle plants, I saw gobs of flys. They had brownish/ orange eyes and black bodies. There were 100's of them
climbing up and down the thistles. This year, is this where the many flys hang out, that also end up in the Last Chance parking lot, portable bathrooms? There were so many that I wondered if there had been a recent hatch.  The Warblers were not feeding on these adult flys.
 
All and all a nice visit, until driving back in the dark, I hit a deer in my brand new second hand Jeep. This was the first time I had driven the jeep, but I guess it is the jeep's last chance for a while since it looks pretty much totaled in the front left area. Fender is buckeled outwards and head lights do not work, etc. As if the deer damage was not enough, then I heard a pebble hit my windshield. Is this jeep jinxed ?
 
I sorry for forgetting the name of the lady from Colorado Springs, who was watching birds also.
 
Happy Birding!
Tina Jones
Littleton, Jefferson County, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment