Tuesday 31 July 2012

[cobirds] Re: Common Nighthawk migration over Louisville, Boulder Co.

Paula,
Thank you for posting your sighting of 80+ nighthawks at 3pm on July 30. I've surveyed for the US nightjar effort (out of William & Mary College) in southern Jefferson County. Your post interests me because of the large number of individuals, certainly, but also because of the time of day. Folks often report nighthawks near dusk, but I feel they are under-reported during the early afternoon hours. So, thanks.
Kathanne Lynch
Genesee Mountain, Golden, CO
 

On Monday, July 30, 2012 3:48:17 PM UTC-7, redstar...@gmail.com wrote:
I saw dozens of nighthawks about 3 pm today (just ahead of our torrential rain) heading south over Louisville just above the tree tops!  
Even though they were flying erratically, they were gradually heading south.  Finally, I stopped on Pine St.
so that I could count them.  I counted at least 80 before they stopped flying over; however, I have no idea how many I missed.
There was a 10 mph north breeze at the time.

Paula Hansley
Louisville

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cobirds/-/PnqppdtPjRQJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment