Wednesday 20 August 2014

Re: [cobirds] Blue Jay predating hummingbird nest in Canon City

<<Hi All,
It is a bummer when nature takes it's natural course.
Steve Larson>>

I find it unfortunate that a member thought it necessary to impose his apparent critique of my statement that I found it a bummer that a young Blue Jay had just eaten likely nestling hummingbirds..  While some may not find it in any way upsetting to have watched while very young bird(s) still in the nest were eaten, I suspect that many on this listserv would have some similar reaction to it.  Maybe the  genetic coding that causes humans to be protective of the young might have been at work in my reaction--but for certain I learned as a young child to be protective of young, including young of other species, as part of  my upbringing in my family.  Added in was an empathetic response to such upset and helpless parent(s).  When nature takes it's course even humans who understand the natural phenomena may still find it disturbing.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAAUvckrBYMzYiz36Mjxd4XazsJkF0miQRpiG0fvTdpZDQjjABA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment