Tuesday 19 August 2014

[cobirds] Re: RFI: South Denver Broad-Tailed Hummingbird & Lark Bunting

Hello all,
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered me advice. I found plenty of Lark Buntings out on East Yale Street, about thirty minutes east of Cherry Creek. Several males, still more or less in their breeding plumage were a unexpected bonus. Other good birds included several Common Nighthawks perched on fence posts just feet from the road and an apparent Cassin's Kingbird. 

This morning I walked around a small park near my hotel and had a brief look at a likely female Broad-Tailed Hummingbird. Early in the evening I went to another location and got much better looks at several males. 

After that I drove out near the airport to look for Burrowing Owls, which is not a lifer, but is a bird I don't get to see nearly as much as I'd like to. After much searching I located a single, distant bird along Quincy St. I made a second pass and noticed an entire group had exited their burrow and were perched in plain site.I made a third attempt and was amazed to find several other groups including one of at least twenty individuals in one small area. My total count on the third pass was 32 individual birds. Quite a treat.

Thanks again for your hospitality,
Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA 


On Sunday, August 17, 2014 7:24:18 PM UTC-7, Josh Adams wrote:
Hello all,
I will be visiting Denver on business Monday and Tuesday of this week. Looking at eBird data it appears there are a couple lifers that are relatively easy to find that I can target in my free time, specifically Lark Bunting and Broad-Tailed Hummingbird. I'll be staying and working near Cherry Creek Reservoir so if anyone knows any places that are reliable for these species and within a reasonably short drive of that area I'd love to hear about it. 

Thanks,

Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/3f03581c-6d83-4b28-9e1e-3208c35ceb63%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment