Tuesday 19 August 2014

[cobirds] Reynolds Park - Jefferson County

I went out today with the express purpose of finding at least one bird to photograph so I could get the horrible reptile off of the first page of my Flickr site (I don't like snakes).  I had no place in mind when I left my house, and as has often been the case when that has happened this year, I ended up at Reynolds Park.  I guess I just like it there.

I hit several mixed flocks.  The biggest one held my attention for almost half an hour.  Among the species it contained were the following:

All three Colorado nuthatch species
More than half a dozen Brown Creepers
More Townsend's Warblers than creepers
Ruby-crowned Kinglets,
Mountain Chickadees
Western Tanagers
Several thrush species
and adult and young Chipping Sparrows

Throw in the swifts overhead, the juncos, wrens, flycatchers, and vireos (warbling), and it was a party.  I flushed a Dusky Grouse that I didn't get a picture of and then flushed another one that only made it as far as a tree right along the hiking path.  That one I did photograph.  This was all on the Eagle's View trail.  On my way to the bottom, when I'd gotten myself onto Raven's Roost Trail, I had a female Williamson's Sapsucker.

The temperature was 46 when I got out of my car and in the high 69 when I got back in a couple of hours later.  It was a good morning.

John Breitsch
Denver, Colorado
https://www.flickr.com/photos/breitschbirding/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/3746b1ac-0e86-4dd3-9192-19f21cc0f630%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment