Monday 25 August 2014

[cobirds] What I love about birding...

birds are everywhere. So, I can bird anywhere. One of my favorite places to bird when I'm not really birding is at the Dog Park at Cherry Creek State Park. Today was a great day to bird the dog park.

In the south west corner of the dog park this morning I had the pleasure of seeing some great birds. Blue Grosbeak adult and juvenile, Gray Catbird adult and juvenile, Cedar Waxwings adult and juveniles, American Goldfinches, Belted Kingfisher, Mourning Doves, American Robins, Starlings and House Finches. After all this my dogs were ready to proceed and as I turned I saw a Juvenile Cooper's Hawk (maybe a Sharp-shinned Hawk had landed right on the path in front of me.

I don't take my binoculars to the dog park with me so all these were seen with the naked eye. I do bring my camera and that helps id birds that are distant, sometimes on the spot and sometimes not until I get the photos on the computer at home.

If you would like to check out my secret little corner of the dog park here are the directions.

From Parker Rd. turn west on Orchard Rd. and make the first right. This road will take you into the dog park parking lot. From there go through the bull pins where people unleash their dogs and make a left. The path turns westward and go straight to my secret little corner.

I would suggest soon as this little corner is not always this active. I may go tomorrow morning without the dogs and with my binoculars. There is another bull pin at this corner that takes you further south and can be pretty birdy also. If you bring dogs they have to be leashed on the south side of these bull pins.

While you are in the parking lot look to the north towards the horses and you may see Bank Swallows, Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Red-winged Blackbirds, Crows, Brewer's Sparrows or Lark Buntings. 

You will need a State Park Pass but if you don't take your dogs you don't have to spring for the dog pass.

Cheri Phillips
Centennial, CO

P.S. This time last year I also saw a Rose-breasted Grosbeak in this corner of the dog park.



 



 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/c8bdfd92-be2d-4918-afc3-2b06ab2a436e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment