Wednesday 28 November 2012

[cobirds] Rusty Blackbird-Boulder Creek at 75th Street, Boulder County, Nov. 28th

Hello,
 
I saw the Rusty Blackbird on Boulder Creek, upstream (west) of 75th on Nov 28 at 10:15.   It was feeding in the river muck on the north-sided waters edge,  just west of where the water from the treatment plant flows into Boulder Creek, under the pipeline that crosses the creek.   It was feeding with a flock of red-winged blackbirds.   A Common Grackle also came into feed with the flock, as did a song sparrow.    4 mallards were also having a grand time digging in the muck.   Machinery at the water plant fired up and scared all but the mallards away... But they didn't go far so I imagine they'd come back down to feed.
 
Since I wasn't sure where along the creek I might find the rusty blackbird, I headed directly to the creek from the parking lot.   I saw an American Dipper immediately upon reaching the creek.   Where the concrete path meets the creek, there were approximately 8-10 mallards feeding in the muck, a Wilson's snipe, and a Northern flicker.    
 
Maureen Blackford
Boulder County

No comments:

Post a Comment