Sunday 25 November 2012

[cobirds] Boulder County sightings, including unusual gull

We visited Baseline Reservoir in Boulder around 2-3pm today. I can confirm the small flock of 20-25+ Common Redpolls, they were visible on the southwest area of the reservoir, feeding on the ground. Occasionally, they flew across the road to the west and landed in one of the cottonwoods near the road. We saw them go back and forth several times. They're kind of difficult to see when they're feeding on the ground, their coloring provides good camouflage.

I can also confirm that there are now eight swans on the reservoir. I believe they're all Tundra Swans. I saw five yesterday, eight today.

I saw only one American White Pelican this afternoon. There was also a Common Merganser hugging the shore.

We noticed an odd-colored gull on the sandbar. Grey all over, pinkish legs, dark tail, dark eye, dark bill, white-tipped feathers on wings. I'm not adept at gull identification, so I could use a little help. My research online points me toward "Western Gull, First Winter" -- is this possible, or am I way off base? If so, it's a long way from home, which makes me think I could be completely wrong.

I have a not-so-great picture of it here: http://coloradobirder.ning.com/photo/gull-baselinereservoir-25nov2012

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

- Barry Gingrich
  Broomfield County, CO

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cobirds/-/ZsW9KYXlz-EJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment