Sunday 5 August 2012

[cobirds] Acorn Woodpeckers in Pueblo Mtn Park bringing food to nest cavity

I drove to Pueblo Mtn Park yesterday to see if I could get some photo documentation of breeding by the Acorn Woodpeckers that have been at this location since found in June, 2012.  I observed both a female and a male bringing food, insects, to the nest hole and taking out what is likely fecal sacs.  In fact I observed a number of visits by both the female and the male to the apparent nest hole that occurred repeatedly over about an hour.  On some occasions the parent would spend less than a minute inside the cavity and others would be prolonged to several minutes.  I got photos of this and have put together a sequence, albeit some the female and others the male (depending on which were better photos) that I have uploaded to my Birds and Nature blog.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @ http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/author/seetta-moss/
Personal blog @ BirdsAndBlooms.blogspot.com


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment