Tuesday 28 August 2012

[cobirds] Possible Acadian Flycatcher

COBirders,

 

There were a number of Empids at Chico Basin Ranch today, most of them feeding quite low.  At about 1:30 p.m. I saw an Empid that had two very bold, yellow-buff wingbars and an upper third one that is much narrower.  My first impression was… huh?  It did not seem to fit Dusky/Hammonds, Gray, too large for Least, and I never thought it looked like a Trail’s (Willow/Alder).  Luckily, I obtained a series of fairly close photographs and they were sent to a couple of people who see Acadian Flycatchers on a regular basis but as yet I have not heard back from them.  I will post two photos of the bird to Facebook, Colorado Field Ornithologists Group in a few minutes.  If anyone wants to look for the bird there is a fee involved; if there is a group with a “leader” the fee is $10 compared to the usual $15 per person (sign-in at the ranch headquarters where a map and a bird checklist is usually available).

 

The specific location is the small migrant trap below the end of the dam at Upper Twin Pond, the location where I found a LeConte’s Sparrow last year.  If the bird is there it should be easy to find because the Russian olives have been sprayed in an effort to eradicated them.  This bird perched from head height to 1-foot off the ground and foraged mostly on the ground.  It is a little wet in the sedges around the dying olives but hiking boots are fine.

 

I wish I knew more about the I.D. of this bird.  If you are in the area it might be worth a visit to this fun birding area, 87,000 acres and five ponds to explore. High clearance vehicle needed in spots.

 

Bill Maynard

Colorado Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment