Monday 27 August 2012

[cobirds] 3 Williamson's Sapsuckers and a Cassin's Vireo in Canon City's Lakeside Cemetery

Yesterday after birding our riverwalk I decided to check out Lakeside Cemetery, a location that has mostly robins and Eurasian Collared-Doves in summer so I rarely go there at this time of year.  Though it doesn't have a lake, it does have lots of trees and the area gets watered frequently and thus should have more insects during the continuing severe drought conditions than many other areas around here so I thought that some migrating landbirds might choose to go through this area.  And I did see a Cassin's Vireo working high up in the canopy of mature cottonwoods at this location.

I was surprised to find 2 male and 1 female Williamson's Sapsuckers. Though this species does come into Canon City, and specifically to this cemetery, in the fall and often they stay until late winter.  I have never found them before mid-October but Birds of North America online stated, "In s. Colorado, birds move down-slope in late Aug and early Sep...."   So maybe these are early migrators.  Another possibility is that there is some nice ponderosa pine forest just over 5 miles from the cemetery and that may not be too far for this species to fly to forage in this lush cemetery. 

I returned this morning to see if the sapsuckers were still in the cemetery but the cemetery employees were already busy mowing and using noisy weed-eaters so I wasn't surprised that I could not refind them.  I tried early this evening and did spot one male Williamson's.  I will continue to check to see if they are staying around.  I got photos of both a male and the female that I have posted to my Birds and Nature blog

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @ http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/author/seetta-moss/
Personal blog @ BirdsAndBlooms.blogspot.com

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment