Monday 27 August 2012

[cobirds] Curlew Sandpiper- Yes

This afternoon I made a quick run out to Jackson to try my luck at the various goodies seen there in the past few days.  I had given it a try last Thursday and struck out.  This time I met David Greening, from Minnesota, on my way along the dam.  Together we trekked out to the "finger" of water that runs along the dam.  And by the way, as previously reported, there are huge expanses of mud flats at Jackson, and where there is water, it is very shallow.  We saw sandpipers out a hundred yards standing "ankle" deep in water.  a little more drought and Jackson may disappear entirely.

Anyway, it was obvious that if the sandpiper were anywhere out in the middle, we'd have no chance of finding it, so we concentrated our efforts on the aforementioned "finger".  After a bit of scanning every piper in that area we turned up one buff-breasted sandpiper, and shortly thereafter the curlew.  What a great bird!  Thanks to Steve for this terrific find.  I have to admit that if I had not known that the bird was probably in the area, I would never have picked it out of that crowd.

Also, there are an unbeliveable number of great blue herons and snowy egrets out there, with a few great egrets mixed in.  Lots of ibis, lots of peeps (we saw a surprising number of westerns), both yellowlegs, lots of Wilson's phals and stilt sandpipers, and a few avocets.  I found one semi-palmated plover.  Who know what all else might be out there.....

I always enjoy leaving via the Andrick Ponds (west) side of Jackson; that area always seems to produce something. Today was no exception, as I was treated to a stampede of pheasants across the road.  In one of the ponds was an odd looking duck.  I checked a group of four ducks which proved to be mallards, but one of them looked like a mallard with a canvasback bill.  Also, unlike the others, it had a large white patch on its side, also suggestive of canvasback.  Does anyone know if mallard x canvasback hybrids occur?

Norm Lewis
Lakewood

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment