Wednesday 29 August 2012

[cobirds] Greater Pewee

SeEtta, I am with you on this one. That bill is way too big for a Wood-Pewee. My vote is Greater Pewee. This bird is not on the Colorado list, to my knowledge, but it is long overdue. Is it fairly common not too far away in southeast AZ. Great find. Better share which section of the Riverwalk you were on. Hopefully, it will show up again, especially with many eyes looking for it.
 
Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO
 
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: Not empid, then Greater versus Western Pewee
 
I have a lot of photographs of Western Wood-Pewee since they are common to the Canon City area and I photographed one this morning within 50 feet of where I photographed the other bird.  I have added that photo to a post on my blog with one of the other bird's photos.  It has a black tip on the lower mandible.  I think the bill looks proportionally smaller.

BTW-the Greater Phoebe I photographed in McAllen,Tx was on their Rare Bird Alert and identity had been confirmed by several highly skilled birders from that area. 

Didn't say it,but the bird I photographed yesterday did not make a sound, naturally.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
Blogging for Birds and Blooms magazine @ http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/author/seetta-moss/
Personal blog @
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com


On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM, SeEtta Moss <seettam@gmail.com> wrote:
I didn't think my bird was a Western Pewee not only because of the size of the bill but because Western Pewee's don't have all organish/yellowish lower mandibles per Birds of North America online (also not in my experience): "Upper mandible is black; lower mandible is mostly black, or black-tipped, pale toward base. Gape yellow" 

No comments:

Post a Comment