Saturday 25 August 2012

[cobirds] Yampa River State Park and nearby birds (Routt county)

Hello all,

I have done a little bit of birding the past few days around the Hayden vicinity:

last Monday, August 20th, I went up north of Hayden near California Park (Routt county). I had the following of note:

Gnatcatcher (I'm assuming Blue-gray)
Spotted Towhee

then that evening I checked out the Yampa River Preserve, also in Routt co.  It was extremely birdy, but extremely mosquito-y as well, so I didn't stay long.

I did have a bunch of Yellow Warblers there, and both types of Kingbird (Eastern and Western), in addition to the usual suspects.

Today was very birdy at my park (Yampa River State Park, near Hayden, Routt County).

I had

1 MacGillivray's warbler
1 Wilson's Warbler
1 probable Northern Waterthrush. Believe me, this was very frustrating. I was out without my binoculars, not intending to bird, but saw a warbler that looked like a Wilson's. I went to go get a closer look and then came across this other bird. It looked streaky like a sparrow, but it was bobbing its tail like Waterthrush do. Also seemed to have the right shape for Waterthrush...sadly, once I ran inside to get my binoculars, I could not refind the bird, which was very frustrating. I did get a good look with binoculars at the Wilson's Warbler and the Mac Warbler.

This evening around 7:20 pm, some campers and I spotted about 10 or 15 Common Nighthawks swooping around in the sky above us. This seemed like a lot to me to see at once!

Good birding,

Holly Reinhard
Hayden, CO (formerly Corvallis, OR)

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Colorado Birds" group.
To post to this group, send email to cobirds@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment